Does your business need a social media marketing plan?
Not sure if your business needs to get involved in social media? Has this caused you to just ignore it altogether? You are definitely not alone, as the technologies and trends have been growing exponentially in the last years, it is still really in its infancy and many companies have not realized the true significance of social media. Just as the Internet itself has seen a massive explosion in adoption since the late 90’s, it has been noted that social media use has more than quadrupled since the mid-2000’s. That said, we must still acknowledge the possibility that online marketing is not needed for your business, but these cases are becoming very few and far between.
What is an Effective Social Media Strategy?
Let us ensure that we are in agreement about what social media entails before we proceed.
To us, it means utilizing a variety of web services and applications to produce quality content with the end goals of extending your reach, generating engagement and strengthening communications with your clients.
Not certain how to really utilize social networking? Here are just a few quick tips to help you get started.
- Promote new blog entries on Facebook, Twitter, Google+ and Linkedin with short but enticing updates that contain links back to your blog.
- Entice clients to “follow” and “like” you on sites like Twitter and Facebook to be eligible for exclusive updates, promos and contests.
- Create and submit viral infographics, pictures or memes to popular sites like Reddit and Stumbleupon.
Social networking is not about regurgitating someone else’s perspective, reproducing experiences that should be taking place at the main website or dumping content that should be found only on the company blog. The best techniques are ones that are focused on all potential clients and concentrate more on listening and engagement than lecturing and converting.
Is Social Media Right for You?
Social media marketing should be something that helps to develop your business and not suck time, cash and life out of it. Listed below are a few questions to consider to make that determination.
Social media marketing is right for you if…
- Your existing or potential clients also naturally participate in social media. If the people you deal with spend any amount of time in it, so should your company.
- You value transparency and are not afraid of open discussion and sharing details of your company’s operations.
- You desire better communications with your client. Social media lets you escape the confines of the standard “corporate speak” and gets you to the level of everyday conversation.
- Your business can benefit from word-of-mouth advertising. Social media delivers an amazing way to generate buzz surrounding your company and services that has the potential to reach many people.
- You like getting free market research. What you could normally spend a fortune on, having an outside company come and do research for you, can now be done by conducting online polls.
The preceding five points should help you settle on the right direction for your business. If none of them seem to apply to your situation then you may need to look elsewhere.
Discovering Your Own Social Media Strategy
Quit dreading it and start thinking about it in a different way. When you do this will you know if social networking will be beneficial for your business. If and when you do discover it to be a fit, you will have the capacity to fully appreciate it and the awesome returns on investment it can bring. If you need help discovering a business case for your company, or just need some direction with your current social media strategy, then we can help you. If you live in Ontario, Canada, we may be able to setup a face-to-face meeting to discuss your needs. Utilize our social media experience today to start getting results now!